Rules for 1915 School Teachers/Rules for 1870 School Teachers
Rules for 1915 School Teachers
1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8pm and 6am unless attending a school function.
4. You must not loiter downtown in any of the ice cream stores.
5. You man not travel beyond the city limits unless you have permission of the Chairman of the Board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any men unless he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. Your dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the ankle.
12. To keep the school room neat and clean, you must: sweep the floor at least once daily; scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water; clean the blackboards at least once a day; and start the fire at 7 a.m. so the room will be warm by 8 a.m.
Rules for 1870 School Teachers
1. Each day teachers will fill lamps, clean chimneys, and trim wicks.
2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day session.
3. Make pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupil.
4. Men teachers may take one night each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.
5. Every teacher should lay aside form each month’s pay a goodly sum for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be discharged.
7. After school the teacher must spend the time until supper reading the bible and other good books.
8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool halls or public halls, or gets shaved in a barbershop, shall give good reason to suspect his worth, integrity, and honesty.
9. The teacher who performs his duties regularly and faithfully and without fault for five years, will be given an increase of 25 cents a week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.
These Rules for Schoolteachers were provided by The Chestico Museum.
(c) 2008 Chestico Museum.
© C@P Society of Cape Breton County, 2009